According to the National Eating Disorder Association, 10 million people are affected by eating disorders. This statistic continues to grow even as 61% of Americans are overweight or suffering from obesity. Many misconstrue eating disorders as solely about the food; however, eating disorders go well beyond how we choose to eat.
What Are Eating Disorders?
An eating disorder is a serious disease that affects a person’s eating patterns and distorts their self-image. Eating disorders cause extreme health issues and may prove fatal.
Different Types of Eating Disorders
Here are several types of eating disorders:
- Anorexia nervosa is a serious disorder that entails severely restricting food intake. Sufferers fixate on fear of weight gain and may even binge-purge after eating.
- Sufferers typically indulge in overeating followed by forced vomiting. Use of diuretics, fasting and extreme exercise are typical symptoms of bulimia.
- While many people who binge eat may not believe they are suffering from an “eating disorder,” experts now classify this type of consumption as an eating disorder.
Additional kinds of mental and behavioral patterns that qualify as eating disorders include:
- Restrictive eating
- Avoidant eating
- Pica, or ingesting non-food substances
- Orthorexia, or eating solely “pure” foods
- Muscle dysmorphia
Researching professional help specific to your personal needs will help if you are suffering from an eating disorder. Speaking with a professional will provide the right course of treatment that will lead you on the road to recovery.
Turning Point of Tampa’s goal is to always provide a safe environment and a solid foundation in 12-Step recovery, in tandem with quality individual therapy and groups. We have been offering Licensed Residential Treatment in Tampa since 1987.